Thursday, February 4, 2010

EFL Foreign Teacher Motivation - What do you do when you don't feel like teaching but have to?

It's a gorgeous day outside with a clear blue sky and not too cold a temperature . . . and I really don't feel like teaching.

I decided that it'd be interesting to write about "What do you do when you don't feel like teaching but have to?" and see what other teachers in and out of Korea do.

Here are some of the things I've done in the past.

1. Put on a tie. I normally wear a collared shirt and cotton pants or dress pants when I teach. During my five years of teaching I have gone through periods where I dressed much more casually but I found that my behavior and motivation tended to be a little more relaxed than I like, and I also have seen that Korean teachers and students treat you differently based on your appearance (holy understatement batman!) so dressing things up a notch helps with a lot of different aspects of teaching in Korea. Wearing a tie makes me feel more professional and therefore I act more professional. I'm not saying a lack of a tie equals less professional, but business dress does help with my teaching motivation levels.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Click on the link below to see pictures and read more at Kimchi Icecream: The Second Serving . . . . I've moved over to wordpress.com and will be blogging there from now on.

EFL Foreign Teacher Motivation - What do you do when you don't feel like teaching but have to?

J

No comments: