Friday, October 17, 2008

Chuncheon Tourism Website Korean-English: Oh dear . . .

This past weekend Julianne and I were looking at the website for Chuncheon tourism . . .

http://tour.chuncheon.go.kr/eng/

Julianne noticed there was a section for "Korean Conversation."

Here are some of the more "interesting" entries for tourists . . . why someone thought foreign people need to know how to say these things in Korean is something I'll have to ponder . . .

If someone out there reads my blog and is feeling highly motivated, and speaks Korean fluently, they could pass along the following English editing comments.

저립니다
[jeorimnida.]
I fel numb.
I feel numb.

I wonder if this entry is meant for when a foreigner tries Soju? lol . . .

현기증이 납니다
[hyeongijeungi namnida.]
I feel dizzy.

As I said before . . .

심장이 두근거립니다
[simjangi dugeungeorimnida.]
My heartbeat is irrenular.
My heartbeat is irregular.

Also possibly soju-related . . .

아주 맛있었습니다
[Aju masisseosseumnida.]
That was dekicious.
That was delicious.

"dekicious"--if this wasn't a type-o, I'm not sure I want to know what was being eaten, lol.

따로 따로 싸 주십시오
[Ttaro ttaro ssa jusipsiyo.]
Please wrap them sepatately.
Please wrap them separately.

잇몸에서 피가 납니다
[inmoni apeumnida.]
My gums are bleeding.

Yikes . . . do a lot of tourists go to the dentist in Korea?

잇몸이 아픕니다.
[inmomi apeumnida.]
My gums hurt.

허리가 아픕니다
[heori apeumnida.]
My waist hurts.

Uhm, I think "back" might be more appropriate here . . .

입덧이 심합니다
[ipdeosi simhamnida.]
I'm experiencing a lot of morning sickness.

Do a lot of pregnant tourists come here?

생리불순입니다
[saengni bulsun imnida.]
I've got an irregular period (menstruation).

Uhm . . . okay.

경련을 일으킵니다.
[gyeongnyeon ireukimnida.]
I'm experiencing convulsions.
I've been having convulsions.

I don't think you can SAY this while you're having one.

붓기가 가라앉지 않습니다.
[butgiga garaanji anseumnida.]
I've got swelling that won't subside.

Now this is just plain funny . . .

폐를 끼쳤습니다
[Pyereul kkichyeosseumnida.]
I've been a hastle for you.
I've been a hassle for you.

I guess we (foreign people) can be a hassle sometimes . . .

말씀 중에 실례합니다
[Mallseum junge silye hamnida.]
Excuse me for interputing.
Excuse me for interrupting.

슬픕니다
[Seulpeumnida.]
I'm sad.

I'm sad that the different Korean websites and tourists organizations can't seem to take the little bit of time, energy, and money needed to have a native speaker of English edit the content on their websites and other materials produced for foreign people in Korea . . .

J

No comments: