Saturday, October 18, 2008

Statue of Soyang River Maiden: #9 on the Chuncheon Tourist Map

This past Saturday Julianne and I explored another of the 16 sites on the Chuncheon tourist map.

We went to check out #9, the statue of the Soyang River Maiden . . .

Here is a picture of the tourist map (the center region) in case you don't have access to a copy. You can get one in brochure form.

The sky was a fairly nice blue . . .

Not sure what the significance of the fish statue-thingy is, but it was kind of cool to take pics of.

The water was very calm, almost glass-like.

Shane, a friend and co-worker, and I had a conversation about my complete and utter lack of ability to edit my selection of photos down to a reasonable number. The thing is, I seem to be missing the 'too much' censor in my brain, and love to post different angles of the same subject, etc. I'm working on it, but too many of the pics I took on this trip were (perhaps only in my own mind--but then, this IS my blog) very cool . . .

I'm assuming this is the name of the statue in Korean . . .

There are swan paddle boats that you can pay a fee (I think 10, 000won) to go out on the lake in.

There are also ferries that will take you on different routes around the lakes. The prices range from as little as 30, 000won up to 100, 000won. A sign shows you the different routes that you can choose from. The length of the route obviously corresponds to how much you pay.

Julianne . . .
See . . . same beautiful subject . . . two angles . . . yep, I have a serious problem, lol.

And then we came across a series of sign poster things . . . I'm not sure if Winter Sonata did any filming here, but Chuncheon seems to milk that TV drama for all it's worth.

I will say that the area around the lakes is very romantic and the scenery is beautiful.

These little groupings of exercise machines are actually a very common sight in Korea. They are for the general public to use, and they are actually used. In the evenings you'll see many Koreans speed walking along the rivers and park paths, and also doing different exercises on these machines (something that is NOT a common sight in Canada--we could learn something here, I think).

We walked up a ways from the statue. This is a shot looking back . . .

One of the boats you can hire to take you around the lakes . . .

See . . . here's an example of what I'm talking about with my editing problem. I think the dark silhouette of the boat in this shot is cool . . .

But then I also like the brighter lighting in this shot after I changed some settings on my camera . . . how can I choose between them when they both have great elements? I donno . . .

Part 1, The End.

Part 2, Coming Soon . . . hehehe--see, told you I had a problem.

J