Wednesday, October 1, 2008

2008 Sept 28 Nami Island Trip, Part 1

Last Sunday Julianne and I decided to join Jeanette (from Japan) on a trip to Nami Island. Nami Island is famous (in Korea, and Asia) for the "second part of the KBS TV drama series Endless Love." (from wikipedia.com)

"Winter Sonata (a.k.a. Winter Ballad/Winter Love Story, Korean: 겨울연가) was the second part of the KBS TV drama series Endless Love. This installment was produced in March 2002 in South Korea. It was broadcast on Japan's NHK and has been a major part of the Korean wave both there and throughout Asia. It is known as 冬のソナタ (Fuyu no sonata) in Japanese, 冬日戀歌 (Dōngrì Liàn'gē) or 冬季戀歌 (Dōngjì Liàn'gē) in Mandarin Chinese, and Bản tình ca mùa Đông in Vietnamese." (wikipedia.com)

I haven't watched this Korean drama, but when I told the Korean teachers and supervisors in the provincial training center I was working in that I had been hired at Chuncheon National University of Education, and was moving to Chuncheon . . . well, let's just say that I got an earful about Chuncheon, and especially Nami Island and Winter Sonata . . . it got to the point where I was sick of hearing about how I needed to go there, and how BEAUTIFUL and ROMANTIC it is there.

Anways, the three of us met Sunday morning at 11am and went to the Chuncheon bus terminal where we caught a bus to Gapyeong which took about 20 minutes. Arriving in Gapyeong we got into a taxi and took it into the countryside (another 10 minutes or so).

During the taxi ride Julianne and Jeanette were talking about traveling. Julianne mentioned how taxi drivers in Korea tend to have driving habits that are . . . "interesting" is how I'll put it to be kind.

At that point in the conversation, I noticed that the taxi we were in was approaching a BLIND CURVE in the road at high speed (I was sitting in the front passenger seat)--and the taxi was on the OTHER SIDE OF THE YELLOW LINE . . . so, of course, I took a picture . . .

I didn't find this that alarming. During my first year in Korea I had to take a 30 minute bus trip once a week to and from a middle school I taught at on Ganghwa Island where I was living and teaching. After having gotten used to the speed of light driving habits of Ganghwa bus drivers on narrow island roads I don't have much fear anymore of riding in a taxi in Korea.

After having experienced riding in a taxi at 3am in Seoul on the express way I no longer fear riding in a taxi in Korea. I would compare it to this . . .

. . . . literally. If you don't believe me try it sometime . . .

So we get out of the taxi and walk up to a large parking lot full of tour buses and cars. There were a lot more people there than I had expected. We got in line to buy our tickets.

While waiting in line I noticed this sign . . .

Why there is a special window just for "Foreigners" with a sign above it saying "Cash Foreigners" I have no idea . . . I've NEVER seen anything like this in Canada, America, or the other places that I've traveled . . .

As I know absolutely nothing about "Endless Love" and part two, "Winter Sonata," I found the sign here very confusing . . . I kept wondering why the sign said, "Naminara Republic."

Then to confuse me even more we had to show our tickets to the "Immigration" guy . . . was this part of the 'experience of Nami island'? I donno . . . I didn't see any Koreans having to show their tickets to the man in the window . . . so I'm wondering what the purpose was for making foreign visitors do this . . .

Jeanette had a great time. She had seen the drama series and couldn't wait to see the island.

Oh yeah . . . before leaving the apartment this morning I was getting out my fall/winter clothing. I came across two Roots sweaters in a box. I told Julianne that we should do the "couplehood" thing . . . LOL! After some coaxing, and coersion, Julianne finally agreed to do it.

WOW! I just Googled "couplehood and Korea" and my blog came up as the first search result on the Internet!!!

To quote myself, lol, "In Korea, "couplehood" is a Konglish (Korean English) term meaning 'a couple dressed the same.' I'm not sure how widespread it actually is, but I do know that in Seoul you'll see it fairly often if you walk around."

Yep . . . you guessed it--I looked at the sign and I was . . . confused . . .

We took a ferry to the island. It took around 5 minutes . . .

Arriving at the island . . .

The main gate is a big picture taking spot . . . as you can see I wasn't the only one.

There are many different ways to explore the island. You can rent time on a car with a driver for 30 000won--I'm not sure how much time that buys you, but unless you're feeling lazy, sick, or don't want to walk for some reason--walk, it's cheap, healthy, and you'll see the island at your own pace.

Another option is renting these electric powered standing bike thingys . . . I have no idea how much they cost to rent. They look like a lot of fun, but consider that if you hurt yourself in Korea that the cost may far outweigh the fun. Just getting to a hospital from the island would be a nightmare, let alone other issues.

Walk . . . it does the body good.

I'm reminded of the TV ad with the slogan, "Milk . . . it does the body good." Which I think eventually, after a series of different versions of the ad, became "got milk?"

Moving along . . . lol . . .

I noticed these heart-shaped piles of leaves on the ground . . . and I had to wonder, who makes them? Tourists and/or Koreans visiting the island? Or do the grounds-staff do it each day to add to the 'ambiance' of the place . . . ?

Julianne liked this . . . pillar?

Another popular picture taking spot--I'm sure SOMETHING in the drama must have happened here as almost every Korean walking by stopped to get their pic taken in this location.

I noticed this statue of a naked woman bathing . . . later I noticed that there is more than one on the island . . .

There are a couple of lanes lined with tall trees on the island that offer pretty nice picture opportunities.

Do not molest the statues please . . .

I noticed this sign. It says, "Danger." Then I noticed the couple walking down the center of the train tracks . . . hmmm.


J

No comments: