Monday, July 27, 2009

Going for walk in my neighborhood back home . . .

I rented a couple movies on Sunday night: Chrysalis and Religulous.

Chrysalis wasn't bad. It explores how science could 'digitize' memory in the future to the point of being able to 'transplant' a person's entire identity into another body and what that might mean to identity and how we conceive reality and embodiment. Add to the mix the kinds of 'editing' that become possible when your memories have become digitized and open to manipulation . . . and the movie begins to investigate some interesting problems . . . the bugger is I don't feel like it digs very deep into the issues it raises.

That being said if you're Sci-Fi fan it's worth checking out.



"Religulous" didn't do much for me. I agree with Bill's basic criticism that many religious people have very little critical thought and higher levels of education about the history, theology, and philosophy that make up the foundation of mainstream religions . . . but I got tired pretty fast of the mocking and verbal bludgeoning that goes on as he interviews religious people throughout the film.



I also wonder why Bill didn't try the ambush tactics that Michael Moore did in Farenheit 911 . . . lol. It would have been awesome to see what kind of dialogues he might have gotten if he'd approached some of the big names in American religion on the street . . .

Anyways, back to my walk . . . the sky was a really nice blue . . . I still can't get past how the view below used to be all farmer's field . . . now it's a new senior citizen home and medical complex, and there are homes being built in the background too.

Back at Loblaw without an S . . . I asked my dad about this "Joe" thing on the entrance . . . apparently it's a clothing line . . . okay . . .

I liked seeing the CF boys and girls up in the sky in their F-18s . . .

It was a nice evening for a walk--especially on sidewalks with no scooters zooming by and crowds of people.

Ah Pizza Pizza, the bane of all health and diet programs . . . lol.

Almost to the video store . . .

FOUR DOGS???! Wow . . .

After dropping off the movies I saw that the old movie theater and bank building at Westmount Mall had finally been leveled . . .

My dad and I both commented again when we saw it the other day how weird it will be to go to the mall here and not see this building on the corner of the parking lot.

And . . . my old high school: Saunders Secondary School . . .

Time to go watch "The Core" . . .



J

No comments: